Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the PA Turnpike, east side.



When I first drove across PA, I discovered that there are quite a few tunnels on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Certainly more than I ever thought there would be. Mainly because when I used to think of Pennsylvania, the word Mountainous never really came to mind. But when you drive a tractor-trailer and you need to pull 70,000 pounds worth of vehicle and load up these 'hills', they suddenly look a lot steeper.

There's one tunnel in particular that's not just one tunnel, it's two consecutive tunnels with a space of about 50 yards or so between them. That's where one of the most surreal moments I've ever had in driving was. It was clear, blue skies going in to the tunnel, rain in the middle, and simply cloudy on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment